hike | October 23rd 2013 |Fishwheels of the Columbia

Posted on 10/24/2013

I was supposed to work late on Wednesday, so I carpooled with a friend...but then I ended up not working and late, and decided to go for a hike that is supposedly only able to be seen in September/October (because of the tides or something?) anyway, since my friend couldn't leave till 5:30 anyway.

It was really different from the hikes I did on Monday and Tuesday. Cool, but a pain because...have you ever hiked over 5 miles of rock? yeah.... I don't recommend it...it wasn't that great. But it WAS worth it. 



These are the old Fishwheels on the Columbia- which basically scooped fish out of the river as they went and loaded them into baskets. It makes me sad because there are not that many fish left in the Columbia at all, they were banned in the 1920's.





The guide book said there were three fishwheels, but I only saw two- I think the other one was under water. Honestly, they were pretty interesting and cool to see and I am glad I was able to see them.

On the way back you're supposed to somehow look behind them, on a little island type thing, and I was promised an easier less gravely way back, but that was not to be.... it was gravel all the way and I was pretty much sure I was lost at multiple points (I wasn't). The views of Beacon Rock were amazing though, so it was worth it.

Post a Comment